Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Question for restaurant Servers; please answer?

My husband & I dine out often. We are in the habit of cleaning up our own table & stacking the dirty dishes when we are done. We do this because we don't like leaving a mess for the servers to clean up.





I read somewhere that this behavior is poor etiquette & that the Servers don't like when people do this. Is that true or just false? If it is true, can someone tell me what that is? I can't image it to be a bad thing.



I'm a server and I dont mind if people do that I actually love it anything to help me out is super




it is poor etiquette because it forces them to have to clean it when you want because a stacked up dishes table looks worse than a messy table, it's not that hard for them to tidy it up. I only do that if I want them to clean it up, like I'm enjoying a glass of wine and I don't want to look at my dirty plate sitting there.




It really depends on the person that's cleaning. Maybe in 5 star restaurants it's considered poor etiquette. Some of us feel that it's easier to stack them ourselves because of habits we've built. But, it all comes down to the person who ends up cleaning it. I think it's very kind of you and most people will take it as a kind and thoughtful gesture.




I've been serving for years, fine dining the last 15 years, and I definately prefer to pick up the dishes and stack them myself .. That way I know they won't tip or silver won't fall off ...Also, we usually take the plates to a tray jack where we scrape and stack the dishes neatly for the server asst to carry away. And I HATE it when the guest puts their cloth napkin on top of the dirty plate !




I dont think so. And not because I expect someone else to do my job. We have costumers that do this quite often. Most have them have worked in the food industry so they understand how things go. If anything it lets your server know you are done, and ready for the next part of the dining experience.





Some people leave half a steak on their plate and you dont know if they are finished or still picking...and then you ask and they look at you like your rushing them. When in all actuality, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt holding you up.




It isnt a bad thing at all, it surely helps us along the way. It sucks when 2 adults come in and make a mess at the table, we are the ones left to clean it up if there are no bussers. Granted, it's part of our job, however it takes up time cleaning a messy table. Thanks for being so considerate!




As a server, I really don't mind as long as the plates are stacked nice and neatly and not big plates on top of small plates. It can make clean up time quickers and therefore another table can be sat without waiting longer. It helps out :)




No, when I was a waitress, I appreciated when they stacked the plates up, One because it signaled me that they were finished and needed the check and two, it was much easier for me to swing by and grab the plates all at one time!




I love it and will actually thank them profusely for helping me out! You are a sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment